Vivint Authorized Retailer Lake Havasu
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Lake Havasu City, Kingman, & Western Arizona

Top causes of residential fires in Lake Havasu and how to prevent them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

There are a plethora of perils you have to consider as a property owner. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can happen in any place and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States because of residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were over 350,000 documented fires. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to avoid them. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Lake Havasu.

What causes residential fires in Lake Havasu?

Fires can sprout up in any spot and without warning, whether sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a garbage can or a neglected stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most common kinds of residential fires in Lake Havasu and all other areas. Unattended stovetops are the chief origin, so always pay attention to that scorching skillet when cooking. It’s also essential to note that dumping water on a grease fire will only worsen the situation.
  • Heating: Space heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Using them for extended periods may cause internal pieces to degrade and ignite. Putting heaters by combustible textiles like blankets and drapery or using damaged cords may also lead to devastating results. Other heating devices, such as fireplaces and furnaces, may cause fires and need to be inspected periodically.
  • Electrical: Old wiring, faulty outlets, and overburdened extension cords are several of the ways electrical complications lead to fires. Never run an appliance with a damaged cord, and ensure ignitable materials like paper aren’t put on top of a lampshade, get it inspected immediately.
  • Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires from candles are still frequently reported and usually result from carelessness. Using candles in close proximity to flammable items like curtains or having them within the reach of an inquisitive pet will lead to disaster.
  • Smoking: Even with the overall decline in smoking across the nation, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep while holding a cigarette or discarding smoldering ashes too soon can cause catastrophic results.

The primary way to prevent house fires in Lake Havasu is to avoid negligent behavior. Always watch closely when cooking, never leave a candle unattended, and get rid of cigarettes properly. If you have to run a space heater, do so sparingly and invest in one that offers an automatic shut-off switch in the event it tips over.

Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Lake Havasu

You ought to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more by sleeping areas. But you can take your safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These beneficial safety devices will not only discern smoke but can also be tripped due to elevated heat levels. In addition, considering they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring representatives whenever a disaster occurs. This is a nice benefit, specifically when you’re not home to hear the alarm and contact the fire department yourself.

Protect against common threats with a Vivint smart home in Lake Havasu

Enhance the safety of your household today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water sensors. You’ll be appreciative of the instant updates to your smartphone and the 24-hour support that comes with professional monitoring. Dial (928) 877-2148 to get started.